Monday, July 18, 2011

The Meaning of Freedom


By
Mark Ballard


     One day after Independence Day I sit wondering what has changes have come for my people. I am an African American man living in the nation’s capitol and from where I sit I can see no real change. I know what you are about say; hey man you guys come along way there’s even an African American President. This is all fine and good, but I fail to see how the accomplishments of a single person can explain away the problems facing an entire nation of people. We have always had success as individuals in this country, but our success as a people has been in question. This is what bought me to ask the question. What is the meaning of freedom for African peoples in America?
    Since the inspection of this country my people have been marginalized in every aspect. Bound and shackled drop naked into the belly of ships transported like cargo and treated less than human. Even with all that we are among the first to fight and die in the forging of this nation. My people fort for the very freedoms that still eludes us to this very day. When I was younger I remember being seated in class listening to the brave and heroic deeds of citizens like Crispus Attucks. I can recall wondering why it took nearly one hundred years after that act for his people get some of the same rights Attucks had die for. I remember thinking this is some crap. Through all my years of schooling I remained totally in aw of the levels of commitment shown by my people towards a country that viewed them as animals.
     They say time heals all wounds but in the case of African American’s the wound has never been left to heal. Repeatedly the wounds have been plucked so much that infection has set in. Again I know what you are going to say; that happen so long ago can’t we get beyond that? Well I ask you; if a man were to brake into your home and killed you children in front of your face. Could you just forget and let it go? Let’s say some time passes. A year passes maybe tan year or even fifty years go by but the pain from the wrong done to your family will never go away. Not in fifty year not even in a hundred years would the hurt subside, unless you could sense sincere remorse on the part of the killer. But that never happens the pain is made even more humiliating by the family of the murderer. What if they were give free rein to taunt harass and even kill your living relatives long you and the murderous culprit and yourself were dead. Do think you would have time to heal from your hurt and anger?
     Now maybe time has passed and some things have been made better but for the most part they are the same for my people. My mind has let go all of the anger I felt as a young man sitting in class. Even tough I am not angry any more watching fireworks on the 4th of July I did not feel as patriotic as I would have like to, especially given the fact that I am an American. What looms heavily on mind and maybe on the minds of many of my people; when will it be enough and how long will it be before our wounds are left to heal. Yes we have to be willing and I believe we are but America must willing as well; to show true remorse from the wrongs suffered by my people. I guess the meaning of freedom has yet to be realized in it’s fullness for my people but never the less I am free. So friends me freedom is the hope that one day I will has freedom in full with all its rights and privileges.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog yours truly Mark Ballard            

No comments:

Post a Comment