Friday, July 1, 2011

Artist in the Shadows

 About two years ago a friend of mine told me about this great new artist he had discovered on the net. By pure chance he bumped into the guy at a local second hand music store called Atomic Music in College Park, Maryland. He asked if I wanted to meet him, because he thought people should know about artist like this. Artist who are independent and making the music record companies don’t believe we want to hear anymore. At first I said no, but when he let me hear this little bootleg CD he had of the guy I found myself singing the hook of the song he played for me all day and through most of the night. I couldn’t shake that song from my head.
     The artist was a guy by the name of Ridgley Makins and the track was called Look At Me. He sang that song with such feeling; you couldn’t help but get into it. The lyrics spoke to my soul and I had been feeling the same way somewhere deep inside.  I was overcome with very strong feelings the more I listen to the lyrics. What he was getting at stood out and kept poking at me. He expressed everything I had been feeling and saying to my friends about what’s going on with African American men.  I don’t want to give away anymore than that because I don’t want to ruin it for you. I will just say it’s a must that you hear it for yourself.
     Later that week my friend Brad and his girlfriend Lisa set up a meeting with Ridgley. He was nothing like the hard and rigid voice I had heard on the CD. He was very relaxed and laid back. I could tell from speaking with him that his passion for music was an ongoing love affair. While we were talking he got an idea for a new track and right away he went to work in the makeshift studio in the basement of his home. The brother wasted no time. He didn’t stop get a pen or pad he got right to it. Off the top of his head he had the hook and the first two verses of the song. A few minutes later he had an entire song and I was amazed with the speed at which he was able to work.
     He impressed me and I had to start writing about this wonderful man who was making great music from the basement. I have never heard of this guy before and I couldn’t believe the level of talent. To hear him on CD one would get the impression that he had lots equipment and large numbers of people to helping him. After that first meeting we became very good friends and I am glad I listened to his music.  It has enriched my life and I would be selfish to keep this treasure all to myself. Friends, I highly recommend you to go listen to Ridgley Makins. One of the finest artist I have heard out of D.C. since Marvin Gaye. This guy is going to make history with his music.
     Ridgley Makins has three well done albums out. His first was the Book of Secrets. The second release was For the People and his new album is called Mean World. All three of Ridgley’s albums are a joy to listen to. I wish him all the best in his career. I hope he continues to make music because it is such a heartfelt pleasure to have artist like him still around. Please support this artist. The industry needs artist like this to break up all the monotony. Find out more about Ridgley Makins at his company’s website http://www.daysofjoyent.com .  This is Mark Ballard signing off and until next time, I want to say GOD BLESS & always listen to good music.                                           
                                                                                  
Mark Ballard
 http://www.markballard1.blogspot.com/                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment